With a Wistia hosted video, it’s possible to alternate click on the video and click Copy link and thumbnail. This will give you some HTML similar to the following:
<a href="https://www.example.com?p=23599;wvideo=abcd1234"><img src="https://embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net/deliveries/123456789abcdefg.jpg?image_play_button_size=2x&image_crop_resized=960x639&image_play_button=1&image_play_button_color=54bbffe0" width="400" height="266.25" style="width: 400px; height: 266.25px;"></a> <a href="https://www.example.com?p=23599;wvideo=abcd1234">Page Name Here</a>
If you then paste the provided HTML (as above) and save to the text section of your WordPress page or post editor you’ll get an image that is linked rather than the video on your page.
Instructions to embed a Wistia video into WordPress
If you’d prefer the video itself (rather than a linked thumbnail video) to be embedded in your WordPress page or post then follow the instructions below:
- Alternate click the video you want embedded on your page or post and click Copy link and thumbnail.
- Paste the copied HTML into a text editor (such as Notepad++).
- In a new sheet in your text editor paste the following:
- From the HTML copied in step 2 above, copy the alphanumeric characters after the wvideo= e.g. if you see wvideo=qwer2345 then copy qwer2345.
- In the HTML you copied in step 3 above replace the abcd1234 with the alphanumeric characters that you copied in step 4 i.e. the full HTML may look something like:
- Ensure that you have the WordPress Jetpack plugin installed in your WordPress website and make sure that shortcode embeds are enabled.
- Go to edit the page or post where you want to embed the Wistia hosted video.
- Add the embed HTML per step 5 above to the Visual tab of the WordPress editor (not the Text tab).
- Save your WordPress changes.
The Wistia video will now be embedded in your WordPress page or post.