Do you have a need to send coupon codes to your Mailchimp subscribers? Perhaps you have a Shopify store or sell tickets on Eventbrite and want to provide customers with individual discount codes. Fortunately this is very simple using Mailchimp.
There are two sets of steps involved in sending your contacts discount codes; adding the coupon codes to your list and sending your contacts the coupon codes.
Adding coupon codes to your Mailchimp list
In the instructions below I assume that you want each subscriber to receive their own unique coupon code. Also, adding the codes via an integration is the simplest way of transferring coupon codes between your software and Mailchimp however this is sometimes costly and isn’t always possible. The steps therefore assume that you’ll add the coupon codes to each of your subscribers manually (i.e. not through an integration).
- Generate your codes in your sales platform (e.g. Eventbrite, Shopify, Blackboxx, WooCommerce etc.).
- Export your Mailchimp list contacts.
- In the Subscribers CSV file that you exported above, delete all columns except the email address (this will make the import quicker).
- Create a new column in the CSV file called e.g. Discount Code.
- Add the coupon code for each contact in the Discount Code column.
- Import the CSV file, that contains your subscriber email addresses and coupon codes, into your Mailchimp list. Upon importing you’ll need to create a new column to import your Discount Code column. The video below shows the default Mailchimp import however keep in mind that you’ll have fewer columns.
You will now have a coupon code associated with your contacts in your Mailchimp list.
Sending coupon codes to your Mailchimp subscribers
Now that the coupon codes are in your Mailchimp list we can send each contact their individual code. Here are the steps:
- Create a new Mailchimp campaign.
- In the Design stage of building your campaign, add the merge tag for the Discount Code field of your list where you want each persons coupon code to show.
- Test and send your campaign.
Each subscriber will now receive an email message with their associated coupon code.
If this helped you then please share or let me know in the comments below 🙂