It has been announced that the 30 million Windows Live Spaces customers are being moved to WordPress.com. Windows Live Spaces (previously MSN Spaces) is Microsoft’s free blogging service.
This is obviously a massive boost for WordPress which already powers an estimated 8% of Websites; not only does WordPress gain 30 million Blogs but also enhanced integration with some of Microsoft’s awesome products such as Windows Live Writer which currently has good (but not great) integration with WordPress.
The move of Windows Live Spaces to WordPress.com is great for all concerned!
Update: 24 October 2010:
Here is the content of a message by Microsoft to potential Windows Live Spaces users:
Dear Windows Live Spaces customer,
Important changes are coming to your Spaces account that affect you and will require you to choose an option that is right for you. We are very excited to announce our collaboration with a premier and innovative blogging service, WordPress.com, to offer you an upgraded blogging experience. We’ll help you migrate your current Windows Live Spaces blog to WordPress.com or you can download it to save for later. You should know that On 16th March 2011 your current space will close.
With the new release of Windows Live services, we’ve made a series of changes and improvements across our products. We chose to partner to provide our users with a fantastic blogging solution. However, we realise the changes will have an impact on you – this email aims to address any concerns you may have.
Our customers have asked for richer blog functionality including an integrated statistics system, continuous saving of drafts and improvements to spam-fighting technology. To deliver the best possible blogging experience, we are collaborating with WordPress.com to provide their free service to you. For those of you that already have a blog on Windows Live Spaces, we will make it easier for you to get started while helping you move what you’ve already built up on Spaces.
Starting at the end of September 2010, when you visit your Windows Live Space you’ll be given the opportunity to upgrade your blog by migrating it to WordPress.com and to download your content to save for later.
As of 4th January 2011, you won’t be able to make changes to your Spaces blog, but you can continue to review past posts, download your content to save for later and upgrade your blog to WordPress.com.
On 16th March 2011 Windows Live Spaces will close and you will not be able to access or migrate your blog on Spaces.
Starting at the end of September, when you visit your space you’ll have the following options:
- Upgrade your blog by migrating to WordPress.com – We will provide a simple way to move your blog posts and comments to WordPress.com.
- Download your blog – You can download your old posts to keep a copy with you. You can also do this and then migrate to WordPress.com.
- Delete your space – If you decide that you do not want to have a space anymore, you have the option to delete it permanently. If you want to save your content, please make sure to do that before deleting your space.
- If you can’t decide, take some time – Over the next few months, Windows Live Spaces will continue to be accessible while you make your decision. But we’re very excited about what you can do on WordPress.com and hope you’ll decide to take advantage of this improved blogging experience.
Note: some content such as gadgets, guestbook, lists, notes and draft posts won’t be migrated. See FAQs for more info on how to preserve this type of content.
Go to your space to choose an option that’s right for you.
All of your posts, comments and links will transfer, and you will have the option to share your blogging updates with your Messenger friends.
On WordPress.com, you’ll get tools to help you track how your blog is doing and who’s visiting. You’ll get tagging that enables people to find you, and for you to find like-minded people. It includes great blog comment functionality, and trackback spam prevention to help keep your experience clean. Take a look at more.
Thanks for using Windows Live and we hope you enjoy the new blogging experience.
The Windows Live team
Q: What is WordPress.com ?
A: WordPress.com is a free blogging site, similar to Windows Live Spaces. On WordPress.com, you’ll find great themes and widgets to customise your experience, tools to help you track how your blog is doing and who’s visiting. You’ll get tagging that enables people to find you, and for you to find like-minded people. It includes great blog comment functionality, and trackback spam prevention to help keep your experience clean.
Q: What happens to my Windows Live Spaces content and what can I migrate?
A: Here’s a list of different functionality available on Windows Live Spaces today and what you can expect:
- Blogs and comments: If you choose to migrate or download, your blog content (including inserted photos, videos and comments) comes with you.
- Photos: Photos not part of your blog but part of Windows Live will continue to live on SkyDrive and, if you choose, you can continue to share them with others. Photos that were part of your blog will be migrated if you choose to migrate your blog. If you add any other modules provided by other services that shared your photos, those will not be migrated.
- Visitors will know where to find you: If you migrate, existing links to your blog and specific articles will continue to work and your visitors will be redirected to your new location on WordPress.com. You’ll also be able to keep your friends up to date with your latest posts on Windows Live Messenger.
- Private blogs: If you have a private blog, your blog will be checked as private unless you choose another option during migration. You’ll be able to share your blog back with your Windows Live Messenger friends or just choose to select a few people to invite to WordPress.com.
- Gadgets, guestbook, lists, notes and draft posts: Unfortunately, you won’t be able to move these. You might consider publishing your draft posts over the coming months and moving content in lists and notes into your blog before migrating.
- Profile and Contacts modules: That information stays on Windows Live. You can add your new blog to your Profile and share it with your friends.
Q: What can I expect between now and the date Windows Live Spaces closes?
A: Starting at the end of September 2010, when you visit your space you’ll be given the opportunity to upgrade your blog by migrating it to WordPress.com and to download your content to save for later. Your space will continue to be available for you to publish to. As of 4th January 2011, you will lose the ability to make changes to your Windows Live Spaces blog, but you can continue to review past posts, download your content to save for later and upgrade your blog to WordPress.com. On 16th March 2011, Windows Live Spaces will close and you will not be able to access or migrate your blog.
Q: Where can I learn more?
A: Are you a parent of a child who uses Windows Live Spaces? Do you have a private blog? Do you use Writer to publish to Windows Live Spaces? Do you have other questions? Please visit our Help Centre for additional information and resources.