This information is primarily for trainees on my WordPress courses however I recommend the following to anyone interested.
There are three neccesary steps; the domain name, hosting and email. All three are from different providers but this is described below. Once you have purchased a domain name and hosting then contact me to help migrate or setup your Website using your domain name.
Note: I use Godaddy as my domain registrar for nearly all my domain as I use Hostgator for almost all my Websites and Google apps for my Email.
Attaining an Australian domain name is more difficult than getting most other domain names; to get an Australian domain name you’ll need an ABN. In addition to needing an ABN. there are not that many registrars licensed to sell Australian domains. We therefore need to buy the domain from a different provider than the Webhosting.
Godaddy is an extremely good domain registrar; their prices are very good and you get free DNS hosting with Godaddy (this makes setting up your hosting and email much easier) which is always a paid option for other Australian based registrars as far as I know.
To get a domain name:
- Go to Godaddy (click to go to Godaddy)
- Click Find your domain
- In the drop down ‘domain extension’ field choose .com.au (assuming you want a .com.au domain)
- Search for a domain name that you like and is available.
- Once found, pay for your domain. You’ll be asked if you want hosting, privacy etc. but you really don’t need any of these add-ons.
Hostgator is the best and least expensive Webhost for WordPress Websites (all demo/training/temporary Sites I setup for training are hosted at Hostgator). To sign up for hosting:
- First buy your domain name (as above)
- Go to Hostgator (click to open Hostgator in a new Tab)
- Click Web Hosting
- On the Hatchling Plan, from the drop-down menu select the time you want to pay for then select Order Now
- There are two important items on the Step 1: Choose a Domainscreen:
- Enter your billing details (if there is an option to choose domain addons don’t select any as you don’t need them)
- Hostgator will send you an email with login and hosting details. Please forward this email to me in addition to the email details from the domain registrar (once you’ve paid for your domain name, the domain registrar will email login detial to you).
Google Apps / Gmail is by far the best free email service available. You can use your domain name as an email address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org. Just sign up for a free Google Apps account at http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html. There is lots of help Online on how to setup Google Apps Email using your domain name (if you struggle just contact me).