There are various reasons why a large number of Tags may be required to be deleted from a WordPress Website or Blog. Besides unnecessary extra Tags taking up MySQL database space, it can also be difficult to manage hundreds, if not thousands, of Tags. So how does one easily delete all the superfluous Tags? Fortunately there is a very simple way of doing this without having to install a Plugin or even run a SQL script on the Database.
How to Mass Delete WordPress Tags
Follow the simple steps below and you’ll have those Tags removed in no time at all:
- From the WordPress Dashboard to to Posts -> Tags
- You’ll notice that only 20 Tags are shown per Page so click on the ‘Screen Options‘ dropdown in the right top corner of the Dashboard
- Where it says ‘Show on Screen’ change the value to 999 and click ‘Apply’
- Wait until the Page has finished loading
- Click the checkbox to the right of the word ‘Name’ in the Tag column header row (this selects all the Tags on the Page so only select this if you want to delete all Tags)
- Select ‘Delete’ from the drop-down that says ‘Bulk Actions’ by default
- Click Apply
- If you have more Tags to delete then continue once again with step number 5 above.
After deleting a large amount of data it’s always a good idea to repair / optimize the WordPress database.