Whilst the Twenty Eleven Theme that is included with every WordPress install is very well coded, it unfortunately lacks features that many people may want. The header image is one such example; the images may be rotated or changed but the large header image shows on every Page by default. Follow the steps below to have the header image show on the Home Page only (i.e. the header image won’t show on Posts and any Pages besides the Home Page).
How to only show header image on Home Page
Please note that it is recommended to create a Child Theme first and amend the necessary files in the Child Theme (this will minimize the chance of the change we’ll make below being overwritten with Theme updates).
- From your WordPress Dashboard go to Appearance -> Editor .
- At the top right of the screen select the Twenty Eleven theme (or your Child Theme) and click Select
- Under the word Templates on the right of the screen click header.php
- Replace the following PHP
< ?php // Check to see if the header image has been removed $header_image = get_header_image(); if ( ! empty( $header_image ) ) : ?>
< ?php // Check to see if the header image has been removed $header_image = get_header_image(); if ( ! empty( $header_image ) && is_front_page() ) : ?>
- Click the Update File button
That’s it. The header image will now only show on the Home Page 🙂