Many people and organizations include downloadable documents and spreadsheets on their Websites. As people have become more security aware and as people use mobile devices (Android, iPhone, iPad etc.) to view Websites more, people have become hesitant to download files to view. Compatibility issues too prevail with downloaded files; for example people may not have an app or the software to view a file that they have downloaded from a Website. It just makes so much more sense to have the document or spreadsheet information available for viewing within the Website Page itself. This is where Google Docs (similar to Microsoft Word), Google Sheets (similar to Excel) and Google Slides (similar to PowerPoint) really show their value.
Why Google Docs?
I’ve mentioned in previous Posts that I think Microsoft and many of their products are awesome (apart from Windows 8). Google however really caught Microsoft napping and resting on their Microsoft Office laurels by introducing the Google Docs suite of productivity apps. If you don’t use Google Docs (and the other apps in the suite) you are really missing out. Here are the best bits about using Google Docs:
- Because documents are stored in the cloud, you may access them from any computer without having to install any software.
- Google Docs strips many of the overbloated and confusing functionality that Word posesses.
- No more emailing documents – just share the secure link and multiple people see the same document and see changes at they occur.
- Docs are easily embedded into a Webpage and any changes made to the document in Google Docs is immediately shown on the embedded document.
- It’s easy to add download links for the embedded document should you wish to allow people to view as well as download a copy of the document.
How to embed a document into a WordPress Page
Embedding a document so it is viewable within a WordPress Page or Post is super simple and no Plugins are needed. Here is what to do:
- Create your Google Docs document
- Click File then Publish to the Web
- Make sure Automatically republish when changes are made is checked then click Start Publishing
- Copy the Embed Code
- Go to the edit screen of the WordPress Page where you want the document to show.
- In the HTML section paste the iFrame code that you copied from Google Docs.
- Make sure to save your WordPress Page changes.
If you notice that the embedded document isn’t showing at a reasonable width or height then add
in the iFrame HTML.