A WordPress Theme defines the ‘look and feel’ of a WordPress Website. Themes may also include some functionality that typically adds to the ‘look and fee’ of the Website. There are thousands of free Themes available to use and some of these have great functionality inbuilt (e.g. Theme Hybrid, Constructor Theme and many others). There are also many Themes available for a small cost. Of course these widely used Themes suit many people
If you want your Website to align with, and add to, your brand you’ll more than likely needs a custom WordPress Theme created for you. A custom Theme is about aligning the WordPress ‘look and feel’ with exactly what you want. For example, let’s say you require two different sized Slideshows on the home-page with all formatting and colouring consistent with your corporate branding. There are some good Slideshow Plugins available however each has it’s limitations. It is also possible to have a Plugin created for your needs however theme styling will likely also be needed (which means additional cost). The solution is to have a custom Theme created where you get exactly what you want (within reason of technology capabilities of course).
Many people shy away from enquiring about getting a custom WordPress Theme created for them because of the anticipation of cost and complexities. The surprising thing about getting your own unique Theme created is that it’s likely more affordable than you think and makes managing your Site far Simpler (as long as you get a Theme created for you by a WordPress Theme designer in Australia 😉 ).
Here are the good and bad regarding having a custom WordPress Theme created:
Advantages of Custom WordPress Themes
· Made to your requirements
· Critical functionality inbuilt into Theme
· Brand consistency
· You get what you want
· Your WordPress Site looks more professional
· Not necessary to have a link back to the theme designer
· The designer will likely show you how to use the Theme
· Tested for your specific purposes
· Your Site doesn’t look like a ‘stock standard’ WordPress Site
· Often more reliable and faster to load (because of not including unneeded functionality)
Disadvantages of Custom WordPress Themes
· Not free (although the cost is probably less than you think)
· Can take time to be created for you
· There are some bad Theme designers out there (always use a reputable designer)
I used GPL (free) Themes for years (and still do on some of my Sites) however, after testing, realised that Sites look far better with custom themes. My Website objectives too were far simpler to attain with a custom theme.