I have a number of clients that use PowerMailchimp to connect Microsoft Dynamics CRM with Mailchimp. PowerMailchimp is a Microsoft Dynamics CRM integration tool that allows for synchronizing CRM contact entities to Mailchimp, campaign reporting in the CRM and creating and sending campaigns through Mailchimp but from within the CRM.
Microsoft Dynamics CRM is complex software and PowerMailchimp is very good at integrating the marketing power of Mailchimp with the CRM capabilities of Dynamics.
Below are some of the questions that I’ve been asked regarding this integration. I’ve supplied my findings too.
Need help integrating Microsoft Dynamics CRM and Mailchimp?
Microsoft Dynamics CRM and Mailchimp Integration FAQ
- If a subscriber clicks the unsubscribe link in a campaign and unsubscribes, will the CRM contact record be updated to reflect the unsubscribe?
- Yes, an unsubscribe activity type will be created and associated with the person’s CRM record.
- If a subscriber clicks the unsubscribe link in a campaign and unsubscribes, will the CRM marketing list be updated to reflect the unsubscribe?
- If in Dynamics CRM I add someone to a marketing list that has unsubscribed in Mailchimp, will I be able to send campaigns to that person?
- No. Mailchimp remembers who has unsubscribed so, unless you manually delete the subscriber record in Mailchimp, you won’t be able to send to the Contact.
- Are Mailchimp Groups used for the integration?
- Yes. By default Dynamics CRM Marketing Lists become Groups.
- Can I segment my Mailchimp lists using the PowerMailchimp integration?
- Yes. Lists and Groups may be segmented in Mailchimp.
- Can I have multiple lists in Mailchimp using this integration?
- Yes you can however it’s best practice to use a single Mailchimp list with Groups (that reflect your CRM Marketing Lists).
- If someone unsubscribes from a campaign email and they belong to multiple Groups, will they stop receiving emails from all Groups or only the Group from which the email was sent?
- In Mailchimp an unsubscribe is at the list level. People that click the unsubscribe link in emails sent to them from Mailchimp will stop receiving all emails from all Groups in a list.
- If a Mailchimp subscriber updates their profile in Mailchimp, will this change be synchronized to Dynamics CRM?
- No, if a subscriber updates their profile this will not pull into CRM. Only when they click the unsubscribe link is an unsubscribe activity created in CRM.
- If a new subscriber is added to a PowerMailchimp created Group in Mailchimp, will that subscriber be added to Dynamics CRM?
- PowerMailchimp only syncs lists one way and that is from CRM to Mailchimp. The Subscriber needs to be added to the CRM Marketing list then synced to Mailchimp.
- Will my Mailchimp reporting data be available in the CRM?
- Can I create and send campaigns in Dynamics?
- Yes you are able to create and send campaigns in either Dynamics or Mailchimp. The campaign emails themselves will always be sent through Mailchimp even if created in Dynamics.
- Do I need to manually Sync Dynamics CRM and Mailchimp?
- For the first synchronization, yes you need to manually sync. Thereafter the sync will be automatic.
- How often does Dynamics sync with Mailchimp?
- By default marketing lists sync with Mailchimp groups every 30 minutes. This default can be set however at anywhere between 30 minutes and 8 hours.