Constant Contact, the small business email marketing company, has been bought by Endurance International Group for U.S. $1.1 billion. Endurance International Group is best known for its brands which include HostGator, Bluehost, iPage and Mojo Marketplace. Per the communication from Constant Contact (as below), Constant Contact will remain a stand-alone entity for now.
In 2014 GoDaddy acquired Mad Mimi for between U.S. $30 million and U.S. $50 million. Endurance and Godaddy are competitors in terms of the markets and products that they serve and offer. EDM is huge and growing for good reason, McKinsey research shows that E-mail remains a significantly more effective way to acquire customers than social media and small businesses are realising how simple it can be to send effective EDM.
Below is the notification sent out by Constant Contact regarding the acquisition.
I’m writing to let you know that Constant Contact is now officially part of Endurance International Group! In November, Endurance announced it was acquiring Constant Contact. Since then, the deal has undergone a series of regulatory and shareholder approvals that are now complete. The acquisition closed on February 9. This is an exciting time for us, for our partners and customers, and for small businesses everywhere.
Bringing together Constant Contact’s industry-leading technology and Endurance’s enormous market reach creates a small business powerhouse – a new leader in the SMB space that’s five million customers strong … and growing. Best of all, this acquisition creates opportunities to serve you and your customers/members in important new ways. A leader in web presence solutions, Endurance owns some of the most recognizable small business brands, including Bluehost, HostGator, iPage, and Domain.com. With the addition of Constant Contact to their portfolio, Endurance truly offers everything a small business needs to get online and grow online: web hosting, domains, ecommerce, emarketing, and mobile business tools.
Key things to know:
- Constant Contact will operate as a stand-alone business unit, the largest in Endurance’s brand portfolio.
- Endurance is committed to Constant Contact’s product and to our partners’ ongoing success.
- CEO Gail Goodman has announced that she will not take an ongoing operating role at Endurance. She will stay on in an advisory capacity near-term to ensure a smooth, successful integration.
- Harpreet (Harp) Grewal has been named General Manager, Constant Contact. He has served as Constant Contact’s CFO for more than five years and knows the business inside and out.
- Harp has appointed a strong leadership team representing all the key functional areas of business. Information about the leadership team is at http://about.constantcontact.
- We’re now officially part of Endurance, but in fact, we’ve known them for years – as a partner, as a fellow successful Massachusetts-based company, and as a team as passionate about small business success as we are.
We’re still the same great company with world-class products and award-winning customer and partner care teams. We’ll keep you informed of any new developments over the coming months. Be assured that the Endurance team is investing a great deal of time learning about our successful indirect channel strategy and our work with national organizations.
Thank you for your support as we embark on this exciting new chapter for our company. Our partner network has been instrumental to our success, and I look forward to continuing to work with you to deliver on the promise of Endurance’s mission: help small businesses navigate the promise, power, and potential of the web.
Chief Channel Officer and Vice President of International, Constant Contact
Endurance International Group