I’ve used FileZilla, the FTP client software, for many years and love it. As a WordPress Website designer I’m constantly moving files using FTP and FileZilla just works brilliantly. There are other good FTP clients out there such as Cyberduck and FireFTP (an addon for Mozilla Firefox) but I haven’t had a reason to move from FileZilla.
For some reason I needed to see the password I had stored in FileZilla Site Manager. The problem however is that passwords are obscured in Site Manager for security reasons (so someone looking over your shoulder can’t make out what the password is. So how do we recover the password (i.e. see what the password characters are)?
Steps to recover the FileZilla Site Manager password
Are you ready to see how simple recovering a password really is? Follow these steps.
- Open the FileZilla client software.
- Click the Open the Site Manager icon in the toolbar.
- With your mouse pointer over the entry for which you want to recover the password, alternate mouse click.
- Click Export and save to your desired location on your computer.
- Open the exported file in a text editor.
- Between <Pass> and </Pass> you’ll see the password in plain text.
That’s all. You now have the password that was previously hidden.
If you found this Post useful, please share with others.