As a WordPress Website designer and support person I often work with Feedburner. Feedburner makes tracking feed subscriptions simple as well as adding some really cool functionality such as the ability to subscribe to feeds by email and even enabling pubsubhubbub. I enable Feedburner feed subscription for the default WordPress feed on most Sites I implement (this is easily done in WordPress via a Plugin).
Often however my client doesn’t have a Google account (Google owns Feedburner and accessing Feedburner is via your Google account). I therefore burn a Feedburner feed for the clients Site and redirect the clients WordPress RSS and Atom feeds to the new Feedburner feed. Easy enough … but what happens when I want to transfer the feed to the customer? Do I need to create a new feedburner feed on the cleints Google Feedburner account? And what happens to existing subscribers?
Transfering Feedburner Feeds between Google Accounts
Fortunately, as per usual, Google has made these type of transfers simple.
Here is how to transfer a Feedburner feed to another Feedburner (i.e. Google) account. Keep in mind that this moves the feed to the new account and removed the feed from the originating Feedburner account.
- From the originating Feedburner account login and click the title of the feed you want to transfer.
- Click the ‘Transfer feed…’ link (just below the feed Title at the top of the Page).
- Enter the recipient/new owners email address in the ‘Send request to email address:‘ field.
- Click ‘Send Transfer Acceptance Request‘.
- The new owner will receive an email with wording similar to that as below. The new owner needs to click the link in the email.
- The new owner then needs to click ‘Accept Feed Transfer‘.
- The feed will now appear with all past data in the new owners Feedburner account. The feed address remains the same as before the move and all subscribers are still subscribed.
Greetings and salutations!A publisher who uses FeedBurner has requested that we transfer this feed, your-feed-name, FROM their account TO yours. This email provides a link to a FeedBurner web page that will permit you to immediately complete the transfer of this feed into your account. If you don’t have a Google Account, you’ll have to create one to accept the transfer.
To accept this transfer and add this feed to your FeedBurner account, click or copy this link into your web browser:
Your Transfer Key: examplenumber
If you do not wish to accept this transfer, simply ignore this message. Nothing else will occur except for the graceful passage of time.
The FeedBurner Team