I recently rebuilt my Windows 8.1 PC and, after installing Authy for Chrome, for some reason the codes just didn’t work for Stripe, Google, Microsoft, CloudFlare, Mailchimp or any other accounts for which I use Authy two-factor authentication. The Authy codes on my other devices all worked but it was just the newly built PC with which the codes seemed wrong.
Fortunately the fix was simple; it was merely a Windows time synchronization issue. To get the Authy codes to work again all I did was:
- In Windows 8.1 go to Control Panel then search for Date and Time.
- Click Set the time and date.
- Click the Internet time tab.
- Click Change settings.
- In the Server dropdown select a new server (mine was time.windows.com and I changed to time.nist.gov).
- Click Update now then Ok then Ok again.
All we are doing in the above steps is using a different Internet time server from which to synchronize the Windows time. As Authy is dependent on the correct time, the reset of the time synchronization makes the correct Authy codes display at the correct time.