It’s very simple to change your NBN internet provider and takes just a few minutes. Unfortunately many companies describe the process of moving to a new (and cheaper) company as being difficult.
I recently moved NBN from a company I’d been with for years. I hadn’t moved as it sounded very complicated to move to a cheaper provider. I could save $240 a year by moving so decided to sign up with a new company. I was surprised at how simple and quick the process of moving was. If you’re in Australia then watch this video to learn how to quickly change to a better NBN provider.
A few tips:
- Don’t cancel your old NBN provider before signing up with a new company.
- Sign up for a new provider just before the billing date of your old provider: Some providers won’t refund you for the unused portion of your billing e.g. Internode states “Service cancellations do not receive a pro-rata credit for the current month”.
- You may be able to use your old modem/router. Check with your new provider if you can use your existing modem/router.
- Avoid signing up for long contracts where possible (unless it’s to your benefit). Some providers insist on, for example, 24month contacts which seems very unreasonable (to me).
- Get the internet speed you need. Many providers will try to ‘upsell’ to try to get you to pay more for a higher speed that you don’t necessarily need.