Restoring a version of a file is simple enough however by following the standard instructions you’ll lose all the new amendments you’ve made to the file.
Instructions to restore an original Google Apps for Work file while keeping all changes
Here is an easy and effective way to restore a file that you’ve accidentally overwritten as well as keeping the new Presentation, spreadsheet or document that you’ve created. Using the steps below you will restore the file that you’ve overwritten as well as keep the new content you have created.
- Open the file with the new content in Google Docs, Sheets or Slides (i.e. this is the file where you have overwritten content you want to restore).
- Click File > Make a copy and follow the prompts to make a copy.
- Open the file that you copied (i.e. the original and not the copy).
- Click File > Version history > Name current version.
- Name the file as you wish.
- Click File > Version history > See version history.
- Under the header titled Version history click the version you want restored.
- Click the button Restore this version.
- Click Restore when prompted.
You now have your original content that you thought you’d overwritten as well as a file with the updates you made.