MailChimp Automation (drip-marketing) is incredibly useful and many of my clients see fantastic results. Setting up ongoing campaigns is simple enough however there are two things that many people find a bit confusing in regards to the email messages not being sent.
Imported Contacts not getting Emails
By default, if you setup a Welcome Campaign (i.e. when the workflow is triggered by a new subscriber added to a list), contacts imported into your list won’t be added to the queue. The way to resolve this issue is as follows:
- Click Pause & Edit next to your first workflow email.
- Next to Trigger: Immediately after subscribers join your list click edit trigger.
- Add a check next to Trigger when subscribers are imported.
- Click Update Trigger.
- Resume sending of your first email message in your workflow.
Subscribers, whether imported or added via another means will now be added to the workflow.
Some people not getting the campaigns
Subscribers already in your list won’t get your welcome emails. Only contacts added to your list after you start your Automation will be added to the workflow.
Here is a quick way to add people that are already in you list to your ongoing email series:
- Export your list.
- Delete all contact from your list.
- Follow the steps above to enable sending to imported contacts.
- Start your automation.
- Import your subscribers (from the export in step 1 above) into your list.
As the Date added of your imported contacts is now after the start of your workflow, the subscribers will be sent the emails in your ongoing series.
That’s how easy it is to solve two of the most common issues with MailChimp Automation emails not being sent to some subscribers.